If you’re looking for the top 10 things to do in Grand Haven for this Summer, you have come to the right place! As someone who loves to get out and explore, who also gets feedback from hundreds of guests each year, we have compiled a great list. With Spring already here, Summer is just around the corner! Now is a great time to start planning, and there is something for everyone on this list!
- It would not be a proper trip to Grand Haven without a stop at the Grand Haven State Park Beach. With a large beach stretching all the way from the pier to the Grand Haven City Beach, you are sure to find your own piece of the beach! The swimming area stretches the entire length of the beach, allowing people to swim anywhere. Numerical safety sign “stations,” swim safety flags, and buoys are located along the beach to help ensure each swimmer’s safety. Looking Glass Beachfront Inn is directly across the street from the State Park Pavilion.
- For those who love lighthouses, or for the adventurer who wants to “walk out on the water,” definitely make time to walk the Grand Haven South Pier Lighthouse. The pier is comprised of two separate buildings: the traditional lighthouse and the foghouse, which date back to the year 1839. Both lighted buildings are also connected by the lighted, and recently renovated, iconic catwalk. These may look familiar because they are featured in our logo. The lighthouse duo is one of the most photographed in the Midwest!
- Grand Haven is also very well known for its Musical Fountain. Built-in 1962, it was modeled after the Przstawic musical fountain in Germany, combining music, lights, and water jets to create a synchronized musical show. For many years it was revered for being the world’s tallest fountain until it was surpassed by the Bellagio in 1988. Truly a “must-see!”.
- If getting outdoors and enjoying nature is your style, trails and hiking are plentiful. The most popular Rosy Mound Natural Area will surely be of interest to you. An approximate 2-mile hike will take you through high wooded dunes, foredunes, beach, and dune blowout. There are amazing views of Lake Michigan from atop the dune, as well as boardwalks through the sand taking you right to the beach. Other great parks nearby include Coast Guard Park and Ottawa Dunes. Check out our Best Hikes Blog as well.
- Rainy day? Or maybe you just want to check out some local history? If so, then the Tri-City Historical Museum is the perfect place for you! Permanent exhibits explore logging, trading, Native American tribes, and the U.S. Coast Guard. Rotating exhibits vary, but could include the West Michigan Pike roadway, the local neighborhood history, Silent Films, and/or Speakeasies. A great way to fill an afternoon. There is also a newer Midwest Miniatures Museum.
- The next item on this list is any of the dozens of amazing festivals that take place in Grand Haven throughout the year! The most popular, which celebrates our namesake and USA designation, “Coast Guard City,” is the Coast Guard Festival. This festival, which welcomes Coast Guard ships from all over the world, always starts on the last weekend of July and extends through the first weekend of August. There is no better way to learn about our Maritime history! Other great festivals include the Grand Haven Kite Festival in the late Spring and the Fall Salmon Festival.
- The next thing to do on our Top 10 List is to walk the Grand Haven boardwalk. Stretching 1.5 miles from the foghouse at the end of the pier, to the marinas in town, you may be allured by the shave ice shack, ice cream shops, restaurants, waterfront parks, shops, and the charter fishing docks.
- Speaking of Charter Fishing, that is the next item on our Top 10 Things to do List in Grand Haven. Grand Haven is one of the busiest ports in Michigan and there are over 40 charter boats registered here. Most fishing is on Lake Michigan, but nearby inland lakes and the Grand River provide options as well. Catch of the Day typically consists of Chinook and Coho salmon, steelhead, perch, walleye, lake trout, bass, and bluegill.
- Our guests, as well as locals, also enjoy the abundance of bike trails in the area. With over 100 miles of trails, both paved and dirt, you can find the style that works best for you. There are 40+ mile round trip ventures to Holland, Michigan, and mountain bike trails at Bass Lake Recreation area. Check out our Best Bike trails blog as well.
- To round out our Top 10 Things to do in Grand Haven List, we’ll finish in Downtown Grand Haven. Downtown & Centertown boast many one-of-a-kind shops, restaurants, breweries, distilleries, and more! Really the perfect way to spend any day!
Although there are so many other AMAZING things to do in Grand Haven, these Top 10 Things are all-time favorites of our Summertime guests. The Looking Glass Beachfront Inn is within 1.5 miles from the majority of the above-listed locations, making it the PERFECT place to rest your head at night!
Are there any of the top 10 you feel we missed? If so, let us know your favorites.